Please contact me via e-mail, which I check daily. I can usually guarantee you a response to your enquiry within 24 hours, and very often sooner than that. Let me know what kind of service you want and any deadline that you have; if possible, you should include a short sample of your work. I'll get back to you, and we can agree terms. Once I have received the manuscript, I work through it using the 'Track Changes' function in Word. I send the marked up work back to you so that you can look at my suggestions, accept or reject my corrections, respond to my comments and settle upon a final version that you are happy with. Throughout this time, we will need to keep in close contact with each other. Finally, you will return the manuscript to me for a final proofread, which is included in the fee. There are a few essential points to note:
- Please contact me first via e-mail, rather than telephone. I have reluctantly made the decision to take my phone number down from the site, because I have received calls during the night, due to time-zone differences, and at weekends. However, once we have agreed to work together, we can arrange phone contact if needed.
- I can do bibliographies and apply style sheets according to departmental guidelines, but if they are particularly long and/or require extensive work, I will have to arrange an additional fee. Editing bibliographies is a long and intensive process.
- I can do minor formatting changes, but only to elements such as quotes, headings and tables of contents, as I have no experience in design.
- I am unable to work weekends, except in an emergency.
- I do not write original copy. I will not guarantee grades. Undergraduates in particular: you must check that your department approves the employment of copy-editing services. I will not be held responsible for plagiarism issues.
- I am unable to edit pdf documents.
- I can't fact-check (I get work from so many diverse fields!)
I can offer special rates for larger manuscripts, students and returning clients. I am also happy to negotiate a fixed fee in order to avoid prohibitively high costs. When the work is done I will issue an invoice, I can accept payment by sterling cheque, bank transfer or Paypal. Please be aware that Paypal levies a charge per transaction, which unfortunately must be added to the total. I cannot accept credit card payments or non-sterling cheques/drafts. The following rates apply.
Please note: I do get very busy, and I am often booked up several days, and occasionally even weeks in advance.
If your writing is already polished and simply needs a final check for occasional errors, then you require a proofreader. This is obviously the fastest service; ideal if you have a deadline looming and need a last-minute check for mistakes.
Cost: £7 per thousand words
In addition to correcting basic errors, I will make revisions on matters of grammar and narrative flow. I will also suggest changes to improve the clarity of your document, adding a comment, a question or a suggestion for you to take further. Improving the overall structure and effectiveness, as well as simply the 'correctness', of any written work is the function of copy editing.
Cost: £15 per thousand words
Please note: I do get very busy, and I am often booked up 1-2 months in advance. Don't leave it to the last minute to contact me! Bear in mind that a long work such as a PhD dissertation can take 3-4 weeks to complete. Your work needs proper care and attention, and enough time to ensure that it is produced to the highest level of professionalism.
Remember: Your individual circumstances are unique, so please do contact me so that we can arrange an acceptable fee for the work that you need
For further enquiries, or to
arrange a quotation with no obligation, please contact me at
Jeremy Lowe, 45 St Thomas Street,
Brampton, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40 3AH